January 25, 2012

Wednesday Whim - Chalk It Up! Dana Tanamachi

all images via Dana Tanamachi

OK, so I have this subscription to O Magazine. I really only subscribed to the magazine because the subscription cost $5 for a year (I love a bargain!). I know Oprah is not for everyone and the magazine itself can go overboard with the "live your best life" mantra for my taste but I admire the inspiration and motivation behind it.

What I'm really trying to get at though is specifically about the February 2012 issue. This issue features work from a Brooklyn based artist known as Dana Tanamachi. She does chalk lettering. Yes, chalk lettering! Doesn't that sound amazing?!

I love what she does. Perhaps I adore her so much because I actually love chalk and chalkboards. I played with chalk so much as a child. I love the way chalk sounds as someone uses it against a chalkboard (weird), I love colored chalk (fun), and I love that nowadays, chalk can be used inside a home for designing purposes (see here, here, here and here).

Her work may be temporary but you can buy a token of what she creates through her collaborative work with West Elm (in the form of a paperweight).

Check her out in action in the video below!

Google offices NYC

"Six Words" feature in O magazine

Rugby Ralph Lauren store front in NYC on Bleecker Street

Commissioned work for a wedding reception

Dana doing her thang! Photo by Kelsey Foster


The By & By from Dana Tanamachi on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...